Major Requirements for
Transfer students: to discuss any questions about major requirements, make an appointment with one of our advisors.
International Studies Major Overview
Major Requirements: 36 Credits
- Foundational Course
- INTL 3000 (offered each spring semester)
- This is a new required course only for students who declare the major after Fall 2020
- International Experience
- 3 credit requirement met through either through study abroad or a global internship
- Credit earned through your international experience may count toward your language, culture, or focus electives if the credit is upper-division and meets elective requirements.
- DACA/undocumented students: There are alternative ways of completing this requirement domestically. To discuss these, please make an appointment with one of our academic advisors.
Notes: No more than 3 credits from a Hinckley internship may count toward your focus electives and focus electives must come from a minimum of three departments.
Grade Requirements: All major courses must be taken for a minimum letter grade of C or better.
A minimum of 12 International Studies courses totaling 36 credit hours must be completed successfully, including the international experience. Please note that students may complete their international experience through a SLCC credited study abroad program, or a credited study abroad from your previous institution.
A portion of these courses may be completed through transfer credit from Salt Lake Community College. See the below major worksheet.
A portion of courses may be completed through transfer credit from another university within the state of Utah. See the transfer guide below.
A portion of courses may be completed through transfer credit from another university. You will want to speak with an academic advisor to review your transfer coursework and discuss how these apply to the major requirements.